Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Long Story Short

Long story short, life has gotten busy again. What else is new?


I don't normally discuss my career life here (because blogging about work = major no no) except from time to time to talk about some of the issues that plague Baltimore City, such as poverty, educational disparities, etc. Working for a nonprofit that serves some of the city's most marginalized populations opens you up to things you wish you could ignore; things that sometimes creep into other parts of your life. And should, for that matter. Nonprofit work is not one that stays in the office - it becomes part of your outlook on the world. 


But, given that I used to use this space as a vehicle to further a career in writing, I should say that two years ago I stumbled into an amazing opportunity to work for a nonprofit after months of job searching once the DAILY BALTIMORE PAPER (that I won't mention here) put the kabosh on its freelance budget. And since then, it's just been a whirlwind of learning, working, and getting my hands into all kinds of amazing stuff. Like graphic and web design, marketing, grant writing, editing, brainstorming, collaborating, advocating, policy writing, and a slew of other hats that I've gotten to wear. And finally, as reward for my two years of building a foundation in my career, I'm happy to say that I've been promoted in my organization and taken on a whole new set of duties that are all totally awesome and challenging. Phew!


Life is changing. In the last two months of my twenties, I want to attempt to slow down, even for just a minute, to reflect on all of these changes. To celebrate accomplishments, to go see Snap's baby bump at her shower in two weeks, to read a passage at Lee and Hot Curry's wedding in three weeks, to enjoy my vacation in the Dominican Republic (that'll be a tough one), to enjoy the company of the best guy I have ever met, and to celebrate promotions and raises and new dreams and unions of my friends. 


Because, honestly, it has not been an easy ride. The twenties were...well, roaring. There wasn't a dull moment to be found. My twentieth birthday, in fact, was in Rome, Italy, and the bartender asked me to marry him. Nice gentleman from...Albania, I believe it was. And that was just the roller coaster beginning to pick up speed.


As my job is about to totally take over my life in a very wonderful and unprecedented way, I'd like to spend the next few posts of this blog reliving some highlights from my twenties. It's only fair to usher out the decade that got me a bachelors, masters, no fewer than 20 jobs, more boyfriends than I'd care to admit, 10 homes, four cities, 10 countries, and enough vodka to sustain Russia through a particularly harsh winter.


Stay tuned for: The Roaring Twenties.


PS: I know I was supposed to write a post about running/puking, but my mom reads my blog on her lunch break, and I decided that in my thirties I will be more considerate of others. I'm starting early!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a person who thoroughly enjoys vicariously living your life, I am SO going to enjoy the "Roaring Twenties" posts. :-)
~Kris

The New Glitterati said...

As a person who thoroughly enjoys entertaining you, I shall do my best!!