Monday, February 14, 2011

Torture

In the midst of winter I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. -Camus

I, for one, find it an exquisite sort of torture that I have a lovely slice of view of the outside world from my desk. I am the first to know when curious weather patterns are afoot (also because I am the office meteorologist and have NOAA.org bookmarked for instant access; even those with fancy phone apps forgo the ease of button-pushing and simply come to me for up-to-the-minute weather news, so common is my obsession with such things), I have learned to tell the time of day from the slant of light or non-light, and (because I work in Hampden) have witnessed many interesting...shall we say...debates unfolding amongst the locals.

But in mid-February when the weather suddenly and mysteriously rolls out a 65-degree day complete with bold sunshine, this view of the world is a double-edged sword.

I WANT TO GO OUTSIDE.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I pissed off the four other lunchtime ATM-goers in line behind me by taking my sweet, sweet time depositing a check into the ATM for the sheer pleasure of feeling the sun on the back of my neck. Oops- I seem to have entered my PIN in wrong...again.

2 more months until kayaking season. Light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: