Monday, August 8, 2011

This Is Not A Food Blog

The best part about this blog post? I'm eating the leftovers as I upload.

Pulled chicken BBQ recipe from Eating Well. The recipe doesn't mention anything about parbaking, but I'm glad I did. I anticipated 5 hours of cooking time, but wound up with only four because forty five minutes of it was spent tearing the kitchen apart looking for the can opener my roommates took camping with them, and the remaining fifteen was spent dashing to Lee's house to borrow his. Oh, and there was beer. And wine. And sangria. You know.Parbake chicken: rinse chicken thighs, trim all fat. Lay in glass pan (I sprayed with cooking spray), sprinkled with chipolte chile powder. Bake at 250 for one hour. Before:


And after:

Make sure the chicken has time to cool after parbaking and before pulling. Pulling is fun and greasy. Make sure you wrap a paper towel around your beer so that you don't smear chicken crap all over it. And yes, you should be sipping a beer whilst pulling. 2.5 pounds of chicken to pull takes a bit of time.







One of my side dishes was a corn and bean salad that I often make in the summer. It's super easy, super cheap, and delightfully healthy. As in: you can eat 17 tons of it and not feel like wanting to die. The recipe is simple: 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 1 can mild or hot green chiles, 1 can diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and I always add a little paprika or chile powder for spice. Hot sauce is good, too. There happened to be fresh okra in the fridge (my roommates are diligent and creative cooks: don't think that I would just happen to have okra lying around), so I flash boiled some (2 min, then doused with cold water), chopped it up, and added that too.

The cat watched. We are tentatively on good terms.



Hot Curry made some delicious slaw:




Boxed wine is kind of the best thing ever. Thanks, Josh.

Awesome. Fin.

No comments: