Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Forest for the Trees


"Acts of creation are normally reserved for gods and poets;
To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel."
-
Aldo Leopold


I was driving home from work on a circuitous route last night as I had some errands to run and found myself in a stretch of Blue Light District (read- sketchy part of town.) Sometimes, in Baltimore, you tend to block out certain things and this part of the city is certainly not one I frequent.

But then, suddenly, there's this mural. Of a forest glen, beautifully lit. All I could think of was that quote, "Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty." Senseless, but not so. Isn't it our job to make some little corner of the world a little more beautiful and livable? Someone did here, and it caused me to pause long enough at the light pondering this random beauty that four cars kindly reminded me via a chorus of honking that the light had turned green.

No comments: