Wednesday, July 25, 2012

One Vodka (and episode of 'Downton Abbey') at a Time

Ok, so it's probably not the best thing to compare...an alcoholic beverage to the Alcoholics Anonymous slogan.

Actually, that's probably a terrible thing to compare. 

Oops.

But that's the thing that people say when you're going through a tough time, be it dealing with a big move, the illness of a family member, difficulty at work; or, ohhh, sayyyy, your significant other moving 7,000 miles away. "One day at a time."

And there's a reason for that. Were you to, for example, begin calculating the seconds, minutes, and hours that must pass before you shall see this person again, you would probably be reduced to a puddle of smoosh on the floor. 

That is a lot of seconds and minutes and hours.

In fact, it feels like all of the seconds, minutes, and hours there ever were.

In eternity.

But that whole one day (run, vodka, Downton Abbey and/or Bob's Burgers episodes, diary entry, workday, project, sleep, whatever) at a time thing has merit to it because it forces you to focus on what's right in front of you rather than dwelling on the hugeness of what  might be. 

So, that's where I am now. We're only on Day...what the hell day is it?...ah yes, Day 12. And, to be honest, everyone knew that the first month or so was going to Suck. (Capital "s" intended.)

But I am coming out of my cocoon and making plans. Happy Hour with Sporty tomorrow after work, drinks with Joel on Friday, and dinner out on Saturday. New Kid is coming to visit for a weekend, and then I'm headed to San Fran for Labor Day weekend for Snikkers's wedding and to see hugely-pregnant Snap. 

Who is, seriously, about to explode. She sends me pictures of herself, and she looks totally normal all over except for this ridiculously huge belly that, quite frankly, scares the bejeezus out of me. Like, I seriously want to suggest that maybe her doctor is wrong, and that there are in fact four or five babies in there. That would make more sense to me. There simply cannot be just one baby in there. This is terrifying. And awesome. 

Also, there's a chance that the baby in that belly will be out in the real world by the time I get there, so that would be even more exciting. To meet Snap's son or daughter...damn. I gotta process that for a minute.




OK.

Still not processed, but moving on.

In other news, I am coming to grips with the fact that I am not a total failure for having not written a book in the past 12 days. Apparently these things take time. 

And time I've got. Speaking of...it's nigh about time for me to walk to Whole Foods for some frozen Greek yogurt, which is my new favorite thing. 

Maybe I'll start that novel tonight.

Or not.

One frozen yogurt trip at a time.

FUN FACT OF THE DAY: (New segment - important things I share with The Gentleman via text to keep him in touch with my world here)
Omg, the weird lady with the hunch back and fake boobs at the gym....has a twin. Boobs are real, blonde hair but same hunch back and fake plump lips 8:19 AM


No comments: