Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crisis Averted

I don't even know why I thought I was gonna get out of Hurricane Sandy totally unscathed...

A few hours ago, I got an email informing me that my flight from BWI to Boston was cancelled. No other information, no offer to switch anything, just a very nice email stating, without frivolousness, CANCELED.

Helpful.

A panicked phone call to my aunt, and then a 60-minute wait on hold with Jet Blue later and I had come up with four possible scenarios:

1. Find a flight out of an airport not too far away that isn't totally shut down and jacked because of the hurricane.

2. Lie down on the floor and wait for someone to come along and find me.

3. Rent a car and drive to Boston before my flight tomorrow.

4. Start drinking.

I wasn't sure if my travel insurance would cover options 2, 3, or 4 (ALTHOUGH THEY SHOULD, especially if you were to be extra industrious and combined options 2 and 4), so I stuck it out on hold with Jet Blue and hoped that my cell phone wouldn't crap out on me. Sprint, don't fail me now (like you have the last 400 times I tried to make an outgoing call). 

The rep was so totally friendly, I thought I must have accidentally called a hotline. I know that this person has probably dealt with hundreds of anxious, screaming, upset people over the last 72 or so hours, but he was so delightfully helpful and straightforward with me that I wanted to send him something lovely like a fruit basket, or a hug.

Instead, I just stuck to being courteous and patient, because those are less creepy and probably not illegal.

The friendly rep got me on a flight out of DC earlier tomorrow, which puts me in Boston a full 8 hours before my flight to Heathrow and then to Abu Dhabi. Soooooo, 30 hours of travel tomorrow. 

30 HOURS OF TRAVEL. THE GENTLEMAN HAD BETTER HAVE MULTIPLE BOTTLES OF WINE WAITING. IN THE MIDDLE EAST - WAIT - NO, CRAP, THIS SCENARIO IS NOT VIABLE. 

I'd settle for a Thai massage.

Just kidding. I'd settle for seeing The Gentleman's stupid face. 

And eating dates.

And hommus. (pronounced CHSCHOO-MOOOOS)

And drink Turkish coffee.

And frolic on the beach with minihorses, which The Gentleman says run free in the UAE.

He might have made that up.

Either way...I am Abu Dhabi- and Dubai-bound for 10 days tomorrow morning. Finally.

And no one had to come retrieve me off of the floor.






No comments: