Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Schmurricane

OK, I'm not gonna lie, it got a little scary there for awhile.

After living in Florida for three years and two of the most active hurricane seasons on record (2004-2005), I've adopted a healthy dose of realism about hurricanes. Plan for the power to go out, don't freak out, and hunker down when you need to. That's basically all you can do. 

THERE YOU GO, NEWS MEDIA, I SUMMED UP ALL OF YOUR 72 HOURS OF COVERAGE. YOU'RE WELCOME.

Mostly, though, this time I was stressed because of my upcoming trip. So far, though, all of my flights seem to be running on time. The storm has mostly passed through, aside from a few errant rain bands, and my flight isn't until tomorrow night.

And this hurricane has bought me some much-needed time to get some work done and feel a little more prepared for my trip. Which means more packing. Which could be bad. The longer I have to pack, the more I start slipping extra things into my suitcase, reasoning - "Oh, I might need that....and that....and THAT." 

Note: you probably don't need "that...and THAT." Just one "that" is enough, I'm sure.

Also, here are two helpful hints for dealing with hurricanes:

Because when else is a "good" time for absinthe?

A handy way to address a leaky kitchen ceiling AND conserve water!



No comments: