Friday, October 12, 2012

Oh Right, That Race Thing....

I will tell you, when it comes down to running your third half marathon, you get pret-ty damn lazy. 

Oh right - I guess I'm running a half-marathon tomorrow. Oops.

That's not to say I haven't been training, because I have. Just possibly not as rigorously as I have in the past. And also, I've been incorporating some new workout routines, just to shake things up a bit.

For the past six months or so, I've been doing a HIIT class at my gym once a week. HIT is "High Intensity Interval Training," and it's 45 minutes of very fast-paced strength and cardio exercises. It's kinda sorta like all those P90x programs that are floating around, and it's totally fun and even thought I've been doing it for awhile, I still almost always experience some sort of soreness the next day. 

Also, thanks to the power of Groupon and much prodding from my friend, I purchased some bikram yoga passes. I've always liked yoga, and have been wanting to try bikram, but I just needed someone to motivate me to do it. So I tried it, and it's pretty fantastic. I sweat A LOT when I run (which, I learned from my former trainer/workout buddy over at ithinkillmakeit is actually a sign of fitness), but I simply had no idea how much you could possibly sweat in a bikram yoga class. I found it difficult to hold some of the poses because I kept slipping against my own sweaty skin. So gross. And so awesome. 

(We celebrated my first yoga class with some delicious Mediterranean food and frozen yogurt. This was necessary.)

So I've gotta run this half marathon tomorrow, and part of me is excited because running a race is always exciting, and part of me is kind of like "meh." Which communicates very strongly to me that perhaps I am ready to start thinking about training for a full marathon. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, though...

And I'll probably puke. I think, at this point, I should just accept the fact that some people are pukers, and that I am one of those people. I will probably pack a nice little plastic bag with my checked stuff so that I'll be prepared for the inevitable moment when I unload in front of friends and family. It's not a very fun moment.

In other news - 19 days until Abu Dhabi. That is less than 20 days, you know. This is very exciting.

Also - someone get on Lee and Hot Curry for their blatantly lazy approach to blogging. Man, someone needs to tell those guys that blogger should be posting riveting and engaging content EVERY SINGLE DAY. I mean, really. Call yourself a writer. 

While you're at it, go ahead and hit me up and say something clever like, "Hello, Pot? Yeah, this is Kettle...."

Off to eat some pasta and go to bed early so I can lie awake and stress about getting to the race on time tomorrow.


1 comment:

Lee said...

Dammit. Called out. I've been hoping nobody noticed.