Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weirdness

So it's like supposed to hurricane, and there's earthquakes and tsunamis and all over Facebook, everyone is all "OH MY GOD IT'S 2012 THE WORLD IS CLEARLY ENDING."

Please.

The world is not ending. It's just...having a bad day. It's a little grumpy.

Right?

Let's hope. I'm sort of halfway packed, and I know that I'll end up shoving a bunch of crap into my suitcase last-minute right before I leave (yes, I totally need a down vest to head out to the 90-degree Middle East), but I've got two very long work days ahead of me before vacation starts. That's assuming, of course, that I have work tomorrow. Which I do. Assume, that is. Because it's kind of dangerous not to. 

Either way, I am  just hoping that, as always, this storm amounts to little more than some serious rain for a day and we're all back to our lives and moving on so that I can get on that damn plane on Wednesday and blow this Popsicle stand for awhile.

In other news - I went to early voting today and stood in line with all of the other early voters to cast my ballot for the 2012 Presidential Election. It is a surreal feeling to know that I'll leave the country this week and, when I return, we will have a new President-Elect. In some ways, it's a relief. This is a stressful election. It's too close to call at this point. Thanks, Republican party, for the McCain-Palin ticket back in 2008 because that was just ludicrous. It was a joke to think that anyone but Obama would win, but this year...it's just too close for comfort. 

HORSES AND BAYONETS.

I am relieved to not be bombarded by all of the commentary and endless projections that are going to be everywhere for the next ten days. I'll find out the results, a day late, probably via al Jazeera, which is fine by me.

Have I mentioned how much I love al Jazeera? I got into it last year when we were in Amman. It's like if CNN and HBO got together and said - "Let's do really interesting news, but film it beautifully." Love.

But in the meantime...everyone is fuh-reaking out, and I am just making sure that my iPad and phone are charged so that I will be entertained in case the power goes out. Oh, and I bought some extra wine. Just in case.

Three days until Abu Dhabi and The Gentleman! Hooray!

No comments: